Posted on Thursday, 2 November 2017
Lechon Kawali is a Filipino crispy deep fried pork belly dish. This recipe is easy to prepare and so delicious that you'll be craving for more!
- 3 pounds pork belly
- 5 pieces dried bay leaves
- 1½ tablespoons whole pepperorn
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Boil water in a cooking pot.
- Add dried bay leaves and whole peppercorn. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add pork belly. Cover and cook in medium heat for 30 minutes or until tender. Turn the meat over to equally cook the opposite side.
- Remove pork belly from the cooking pot. Place it in a clean plate. Let it cool down until you can safely handle it with your hands.
- Rub salt all over the pork. Let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep cooking pot. Once the oil gets hot, put the boiled pork belly in skin side facing down. Deep fry until the skin turns brown. There is no definite time for this step. Use the sound of the oil as your queue. When the oil starts to calm down a bit, check the pork belly to see if the skin is brown.
- Turn pork belly over and deep fry the opposite side for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the cooking pot. Put on a plate and let the excess oil drip.
- Test for crispiness by hitting the crackling (crispy skin) lightly with a fork or knife. It should create a sound. Chop the super crispy lechon kawali into bite-sized pieces.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and a cup of warm rice.
Disclaimer: I am not a chef and neither am I a professional recipe developer. The recipes are taken from different sources and thought of sharing it. All images are taken by my husband.