Beef Kaldereta is a Filipino Beef Stew that is served during parties and holidays. This dish is cooked in a tomato based sauce with vegetables such as carrot, potato, and bell pepper. The addition of liver spread or lmakes this dish stand out.
- 2 pounds beef chuck sliced into cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, sliced into cubes
- 1 beef cube
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 5 tablespoons liver spread
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 ½ cups water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a pan or wok and then pour 3 tablespoons cooking oil. Stir fry the bell peppers for 3 minutes. Remove the bell peppers and put in a plate. Set aside.
- Using the oil in the pan (add more if necessary), pan fry the carrots and potato for 5 minutes. Put these in a plate and then set aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a clean pot.
- Sauté the garlic and onion.
- Add beef. Cook until it turns light brown.
- Pour in tomato sauce and water. Let it boil.
- Add beef cube. Stir. Cover the pot. Continue to cook in low heat for 60 minutes or until the beef gets tender. Add more water if needed.
- Stir in the liver spread and then add some salt and pepper.
- Put pan fried potato and carrots in the pot. Stir. Add bell peppers.
- Cover the pot. Continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
Disclaimer: I am not a chef and neither am I a professional recipe developer. The recipes are taken from different sources and thought of sharing it. All images are taken by my husband.